Health

Health-Nut Muffins

8:59 PM

So I'm not really a health-nut, but my boyfriend teases me about being one. Here's how I operate: I eat super healthy food most of the time, but often eat chocolate in the evenings, usually end up ordering a caramel latte at Starbucks for my morning treat, and almost always eat 3-meat cheese-stuffed crust pizza for Friday night dinners.

But today I was in the mood for something healthy and yummy. So I went to the store and found a recipe on the back of a whole-wheat flour bag for banana bread. But the thing is, I don't like bananas. So I changed the recipe drastically, substituting everything I could for something healthier.
And they turned out amazing.

These would be great before class/rehearsal/performance because it has a very good mix of complex carbohydrate, unsaturated fat, and protein!



Health nut Muffins

Their recipe My recipe
2 C mashed bananas 1/2 C Pumpkin
1/2 C Apple Sauce
1/2 C Cranberries
1/2 C frozen blueberries
1/4 C frozen fresh Coconut
1/2 C Vegetable Oil 1/2 C Chunky Peanut Butter*
1C Sugar 1c Sugar**
1C Unbleached all-purpose flour and 1C Whole Wheat flour 1/2 C Wheat Germ, and 1 1/2 C whole wheat flower
1tsp baking soda 1tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c chopped walnuts none ***
1tsp vanilla extract blop of vanilla extract (highly precise!)
2 large eggs 2 large eggs
3 tbs milk plop of milk
cinnamon
pumpkin spice

  1. Mix fruit, add in wet ingredients
  2. mix in dry ingredients
  3. Pour into muffin tins and sprinkle a little bit of cinnamon/sugar/pumpkin pie spice on top
  4. pour into muffin tins and bake for 10-15min at 350
  5. eat with a hot cup of chamomile tea. <3
*They tasted VERY peanut-buttery… so if you don't particularly like super-peanut-buttery stuff, just use olive oil or veg.oil.

**I'd have liked to use Stevia, but 1. Walmart doesn't sell it, and 2. the Truvia was $6 vs sugar $1… I'm a broke college student.

*** I don't like walnuts… also I used chunky peanut butter.

MMMMMmmmm so yummy and perfect with a cup of tea!!

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. Those look delicious, I'll have to try the recipe out! :)

    ReplyDelete

All content (except where otherwise noted) is copyright Haley Mathiot. Feel free to quote, but please cite appropriately and notify immediately if any information that appears on this site is copied or quoted.